eyelash sweater // white mules // striped blanket scarf // striped sweater // leopard ankle boots // mauve cardigan sweater
. . .
So I purchased a few too many items at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale this year (FYI—it ends on Sunday, Aug. 5). Overbuying is difficult to avoid—things will sell out if you don’t act quickly. I was very calculated in my purchases, however, and felt RELIEVED to return all the items I didn’t immediately love once I saw them in person (thank you, capsule wardrobe lifestyle!).
What I’m Keeping For My Capsule Wardrobe
- The above six items (linked below) are the clothing items I kept. I’m truthfully still deciding on the white mules and mauve cardigan. The cardigan is meant to be oversized, but my preferred size wasn’t available when I purchased it so it fits a little bigger than I wanted.
- I didn’t expect to love the eyelash sweater as much as I do, but it turned out to be extremely versatile. I like it layered over dresses or longer tops and under cardigans. It’s so cute under denim overalls, too! I think the texture is what really got me—texture is a capsule wardrobe’s best friend!
- The Topshop striped sweater was one of the most popular items at this year’s sale. The colors are what sold me. With most of my wardrobe consisting of neutrals these days, you can tell I came under a little color spell with this sale.
- I’ve been wanting some leopard ankle boots since I started the capsule wardrobe last fall, so I’m really excited about this pair. I ordered two sizes and went with a half size down.
SHOP THE POST
Non-Clothing Items I Purchased & Kept
I’ve historically always focused on clothes with past Nordstrom Sales, but this year decided to try a few beauty items.
- Every time I travel and my hotel bathroom has a magnifying makeup mirror I swear to myself that I’m going to get one for my bathroom at home. And then I never do. So I bought this rose gold Simple Human magnifying mirror ($65 dollars off!) and Matt and I both are already using it daily. I love how it lights up—really nice if you don’t have enough light in your bathroom. Overall, I’m super happy with this purchase.
- The other beauty item I bought was this facial exfoliation and peach fuzz remover device. I’ve never used anything like this, and still haven’t taken it out of the box, but I wanted to try a different approach to exfoliating (beyond masks and face scrubs) and I’m excited to report back on this. Have you used something similar before? Please share your thoughts!
Other Items I Purchased & Why I Returned Them
Here’s a quick glance at the other items I purchased and why I didn’t love them enough to keep them…
Overall, I’m happy with what I got and even more satisfied that I didn’t go overboard like I have in past years. It’s easy to see everyone’s purchases (if you follow other style bloggers) on Instagram and have all the FOMO feels. I’m just grateful I found the capsule wardrobe to give me some boundaries and guidance on how to shop for the rest of my life. 🙂
Have you shopped the NSale already? What pieces were your favorites? Let me know in the comments if you have any questions about the items I reviewed in this post.
Oh, I love the jeans you linked! I’ve been looking for a pair exactly like those myself – but I’m so small, so nothing I get ever fits properly! ❤️
Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog
Thanks! They’re such a cute style. I hope you can find a pair that fits. I have a sister in law who is tiny like you and she has the same struggle with clothes. But you do look cute in everything! xo
I also didn’t go too overboard this sale. I’m trying to be picky about the items I buy. I got a few basic long sleeved shirts for layering, the madewell Ryder cardigan in pink, and the madewell high rise skinny jeans. I know I’ll wear these pieces a lot this fall and winter.
You will LOVE those Madewell pieces. That cardi is one of my faves. It’s harder to be picky about shopping in the fall, isn’t it? I think it’s my favorite season to dress and shop for. 🙂
I love this kind of post! I’m terrible at deciding which things to keep or return so I like seeing your thought process! I bought the Lucky Brand wedge booties in olive and am in love – I don’t have any like them and think they’ll go with a lot.
Thank you! I am, too. That’s why I always end up returning things… after I’ve had adequate time to decide. Lol. I’m so happy you love those shoes! I bet the olive green is darling. And you’re right–so versatile! xo