This post is sponsored by Carter’s; however, all thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.
Having a baby changes EVERYTHING.
I remember so many comments like this at my first baby shower for Benji last year. It wasn’t until he finally arrived that I realized how useful all of the advice and baby shower gifts really were. Humorous messages written on tiny diapers (“Poonami Mommy,” “I didn’t poo it,” “Open at your own risk”) that I’d later turn to for comic relief somewhere around 3AM. His first baby clothes bundles, one-pieces, and little extras™ like burp cloths and blankets that I could never seem to have enough of.
For the first few weeks, we dressed him only in gowns from the Carter’s Little Baby Basics collection because the fold-over sleeves protected him from his sharp newborn nails and made sleepy middle-of-the-night diaper changes so much easier and less disruptive. I still pull out his newborn clothes sometimes just to remind me how much he’s grown (and then I sob, of course).
Once he started gaining more weight and his belly button healed, our go-to outfit for Benji was the original bodysuit (still a favorite) or a Carter’s Layer-up Set with a layering jacket and sweatpants because spring in Utah means it could snow well into May. These quick transition stages I remember as some of the sweetest and most challenging, constantly worrying if I was giving him what he needed.
Now that he’s going on 15 months, we’re into easy outfit sets that come in two and three-piece made-to-match top + bottom sets. So as soon as he spills, spits, smushes or drools on one (and he inevitably does), we just swap it out for another and still have a well-styled outfit that makes my over-photographing ways completely acceptable. 😉 I tell ya, one thing I didn’t expect was meeting someone who changes outfits more times in a day than I do!
These times are a struggle. There’s no doubt about it. They’re exhausting, but they’re fleeting. I wake up every morning to my newborn baby looking older and older and it gets me right in the center of my heart.
At the end of each day, Matt and I recite the details and events that make up our favorite Benji-isms, what we love and want to remember, and what we never saw coming just 14 months ago. Having Benji has changed everything for us, and we’d never go back.
- Smell bums.
- Go out in public with mess all over your clothes.
- Get your workout in by carrying your baby around all day every day (be sure to alternate arms or you’ll have disproportionate biceps).
- Really hone your singing voice with ABC’s and the Wheels on the Bus.
- Give kisses away generously.
- Master geometry, the solar system, animal breeds, textures and sounds all thanks to songs and books that will be on repeat daily.
- Become a morning person (whether you like it or not).
- Have full conversations using only 3-5 words. Our current favorites: yah yah yah (whispered), cheese (said with emphasis), gew and mmmm (both very purposeful phrases), and dance dance dance (in tandem with choppy stand-in-place stomping).
- Skip opening weekends at the box office for bath time, booger swabbing and toenail clipping.
- Eat puréed chicken and rice.
- Say “bless yoouuu!” in a high, exuberant voice to anyone who sneezes. Oops. Habit.
- Connect with other parents in ways you previously couldn’t.
- Love like you’ve never loved before.
If you’re a parent, what’s one thing you do now that you never would have done before baby?
If you’re not yet a parent, what’s one thing you’re afraid to give up when becoming one?
. . .
Be sure to check out the below coupon for 20% off (your purchase of $40 or more) the Carter’s Little Baby Basics collection now through July 4! It’s redeemable in store or online (see store locations here).
Thanks for reading!